The Blue Mountain Shepherd

~Then he said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." (Matthew 4:19)~

Discussion Forums

Forum Home > Prophecy > The Mark of the Beast

TED3
Administrator

I was reading Rev. 13 and something occured to me that I had never really noticed before.

Rev 13:16 And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:

Rev 13:17 And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

In verse 17, three things are mentioned pertaining to the "mark" of the beast.

1) the mark

2) the name of the beast

3) the number of his name

Do all three refer to the same thing, only stating it differently?

Or does it mean that the "mark" could potentially encompass three different elements, namely his mark, name, or number?

Verse 18 says,

Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six.

I understand most people think that verse 18 is referencing the ancient practice of gematria, where a numeric value is placed upon different alphbetic letters. The numbers are then added together to arrive at the "number" of that particular name. In this instance, the total value of the beasts alphabetic name would add up to "Six hundred threescore and six", or 666.

That is the number of the beast.

My question is,

Does the "mark", "name", and "number" refer to 3 different items, any one of which will be required on a person in order to buy or sell? Or, do all three really refer to the same thing?

I understand that this is a trivial question but, none the less, in my effort to understand prophecy as much as possible I would like to know other peoples thoughts on that subject.

July 4, 2010 at 2:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

beeman

IAm no expert on prophecy but in light of the latest post by TED. , maybe there could another answer. In this age of technology with the microchip implants that are already available. Is it possible that the number 666 could be contained within the binary code. possible as security measure to prevent unauthorized people from buying or sealing. Converting the number 666 to binary code would look like this 1010011010.

July 4, 2010 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

TED3
Administrator

I also am inclined to agree with beeman that the "mark" will be of a technological nature whatever form it ultimately takes. The reason for this is that the Bible specifically says that "no man might buy or sell" without it. I think that indicates total control over ALL financial, banking and business transactions.

Up until a few years ago, the ideal of putting a "mark" on ALL people to control financial transactions probably seemed impossible. But within the last couple of decades, computer technology has advanced to the point that everything a person does can be tracked, logged, monitored, and filed away in a database. The "mark" is no longer impossible, the technology to achieve it exists now. Since this technology has only become available in our current generation, I personally think this is one of several indications that the end times may be close.

It remains to be seen what that "mark" will ultimately consist of. It could be a bar code (visible or invisible), an RFID tag (such as is currently used in animals), implantable micro-chips (already in existance), or perhaps even biological markers unique to every individual (being installed at some banks now).

A couple of articles of interest which pertains to biological identification may be seen at the following links.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/07/05/first.biometric.atm.europe/index.html

and

http://www.watch.org/showart.php3?idx=130249&rtn=/articles.html&showsubj=1&mcat=1

I am interested to see other peoples thoughts on any of this.

July 16, 2010 at 10:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Oops! This site has expired.

If you are the site owner, please renew your premium subscription or contact support.